Saturday, July 4, 2015

Mini-Marathon: Part 3, The Ultimate One

OGRE, OGRE, OGRE

I have a problem, I have a 15mm Ogre and I never got into OGRE, but I know a man who did...

My 15mm OGRE has been sitting on a shelf for years, I've occasionally used it as scenery, but never used it in a game as I truly am clueless about them.  I got it years ago at the ECC GZG con (7 or 8?) in a trade for some figs because I thought it looked cool.  I recently corresponded with John Treadaway of Hammers Slammers Crucible rules to try to find a set of rules which I could use the OGRE for.  John obligingly came up with a great start for the OGRE.  However, I knew Mark is a big OGRE fan (he plays the SJ-OGRE game) so I wanted Mark to be the first to get to game with it.

A decision I may have made in haste...

That way, attack that way suggests Xena.
The goal of the OGRE is to gain access to the city, to do this is has to occupy the top RHS corner (a 1x1' square)
The OGRE rumbles forwards
City Defense rushes to counter it
It looks grim for the city
City tank destroyers open up, heavy armour penetrators glance off the thick frontal armour
Xena advises Mark on target selection
"All of them" says Xena.  A hellbore round goes through a tank destroyer from end to end
Howitzers lash out at MBTs
PATU carriers throttle forwards to deliver their cargo before they too get annihilated
Missiles streak into towards the carriers
Secondary batteries KO drones.  And that was just in the first turn.  Looks like I seriously underestimated this OGRE

PATUs debus and leap forwards
Jumping past wrecked cars
A Drone scores a lucky shot - and at this point we have a problem - we get a 'Boom' result and discuss how to handle it.  We bodge a solution and carry on, with  seriously weakened top armour for The OGRE
PATUs dash
PATUs volley buzzbombs, scoring minor hits only
The OGRE isn't worried, it just grinds forwards, crushing all in its way
A long shot of the devastation, The OGRE decimates the PA with secondaries.  Finally I get some heavy tanks as reinforcements
20cm powerguns line up, hit and score only minor hits on the side, at least I get  some mobility hits to slow the beast down
Ha! snorts The OGRE
As Mark begins another round of methodically destroying my available forces
Although I helped with a 'double firing' mishap
The OGRE KO's main guns
Kills and suppresses PA
Then finishes killing the PA
THE TANKS, THE TANKS indicates Xena
My heavy tanks are its next focus, one goes to howitzer fire
I get another chance to fire, scoring hits but not much damage
The OGRE grinds forwards inexorably towards the city
It destroys another heavy tank
I get two super-heavies as reinforcements, they pour heavy powergun rounds into the OGRE, the rear has taken a lot of hits. 
A closer shot of me actually doing some damage to the OGRE
Other tanks rush to flank the OGRE, more rounds pour in, weakening the rear further
We may have a chance to stop this thing before it reaches the city
Mark slows his shooing a fraction to surge the OGRE into the city, making it harder for me to range on to it
The OGRE deep into the canyon of the city
View from drones
By slowing his shooting, I mean Mark only KOs some of my forces rather than totally destroy them.  All my Sillers are KO'd
The super-heavies breach the rear armour, but BOTH roll 6's for effect, two BOOMS and Mark and I decide that means a reactor breach, the OGRE goes nuke
Slowly it builds
Until the explosion engulfs a significant chunk of the city - a pyrrhic victory for me
The city burns.

The OGRE was tough, very tough and very shooty, but while playing Mark was telling me that it perhaps should be more effective in some areas.  Sure we made a few mistakes too, but it was a first game with it.  I guess we just have to tweak things a bit to get it the way we think it should.  Next time though I'm going to use more heavy tanks, and more heavy guns, this was fun though, a really desparate defence against a monster tank.

An that was the end of the mini-marathon, Mark was off on the rest of his trip the next day.  It was a great visit though, thanks for the fun games!

No comments:

Post a Comment